Thursday 9 October 2014

Easy Mixed Berry Fridge Tart

I am very fortunate to still have both my parents alive.  My Mom has Alzheimer's and my dad has suffered from Narcolepsy all his life.  They are both 77, refuse to move out of their home and into a retirement village.  Fortunately they seem to be doing ok for the time being, but are a huge source of stress and worry.  My Dad is AMAZING and I take my hat off to him with so much pride, love and respect.  He see's to their food, the day to day life, shopping, driving and looks after my mom with so much patience it brings tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat.  Every Wednesday evening they come to my house for supper, and I provide them with an extra 2 or 3 meals to have for dinner during the week.  I also try to make sure I have a nice pudding for them when they come, so am always looking for quick and easy desserts.  

Now as I mentioned I am a huge fan of "Master Google" and what I often do is look in the cupboard or fridge at the ingredients I have and then ask Master Google for puddings that have those ingredients in them.  I then read a bunch of recipes and .... yeah u got it, generally do my own thing anyway *Cheezy grin*  Sometimes it's a hit, and sometimes it's a miss.  

This is today's recipe:

EASY MIXED BERRY FRIDGE TART:

INGREDIENTS:

1 packet/ 200g of crushed tennis biscuits (or any plain sweetish biscuits) .
150 to 180 g butter - melted - I like a very buttery flavour and a tight base
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
125 ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
500 ml or 2 cups of any "berry" flavoured yoghurt (with fruit bits is extra nice).
2 x 80g packets jelly - again any "berry flavoured" ones will do




I must just add in here that you can make any flavour combination you like, so feel free to create.  

METHOD:

Melt butter in the microwave. Mix crushed biscuits and melted butter together. (Tip: I often buy a few of each packet and then pull out the food processor and crush them, storing them in ziplock bags till needed - hence the gram measurement of the biscuits). Put into a 20 x30 cm lined** dish and spread out the bottom crust.

**Lined with some non-stick paper. Bear in mind that most biscuit based puddings stick horribly to the bottom of your dish.  The more you press down, the more they stick, BUT I find that if you don't press down enough, they don't hold together and crumble.  So in order to ensure that you can get your pudding out when you dish it up, take the precaution of lining the bottom of your dish.  Trust me, it's worth the effort!


Place in the fridge to set while you get on with the rest of the mixing.

Mix the jelly powder and boiling water together till dissolved.  (Tip: Allow to cool slightly, because when you add the cold yoghurt to the jelly, it will cause little pieces of jelly to cool down really quick and you get little jelly flecks in your pudding, which personally I enjoy but some people don't.)

Add the condensed milk and yoghurt to the jelly.



Mix the jelly, condensed milk and yoghurt together with a spoon until combined. 



Remove the base from the fridge and pour your mixture over the base.




Replace in the fridge for at least 1 - 2 hours.

Eat and enjoy!

Sorry I don't have a picture of the "served" pieces, but my family got stuck in before I got a chance.  

Enjoy the rest of your week and have a happy weekend!

Love

S



No comments: